Invisalign vs. Braces
Both Invisalign and traditional braces are great options for straightening teeth. Both have pros and cons, so it’s important to weigh all the factors before deciding.
Invisalign vs. Braces: What are the Differences?
While they are used to achieve the same goals, both Invisalign and braces work differently. Patients must choose the option that is right for their individual needs, and at Dental Group of Morristown, we believe education is key to making the best decision for your smile.
- Appearance: Invisalign is less noticeable than braces
- Comfort: Invisalign is more comfortable because there are no wires or brackets that can rub against your gums and cheeks.
- Removability: Invisalign is removable, so you can eat whatever you want and brush and floss normally.
- Duration of Treatment: Invisalign treatment time is typically shorter than braces, although this will vary depending on the severity of your case.
- Cost: The price of Invisalign and braces is usually about the same. The severity of your misalignment and the duration of your treatment factor into the cost of both treatments. Orthodontic insurance usually covers both Invisalign and braces.
- Appointments: For braces, you need to see your orthodontist in person every time you are ready to adjust the brackets or every two weeks. With Invisalign, you change trays at home, so visits are usually scheduled every six weeks.
Who is a good candidate for Invisalign?
- All ages: Invisalign is popular with both teens and adults.
- Responsibility: The patient must be responsible enough to wear the Invisalign trays 22 hours a day and not misplace them. Some parents of teens choose braces because there is less personal responsibility involved.
- Misalignment: Invisalign uses attachments to treat complex and severe cases of misalignment. However, in certain instances, braces may be necessary.
Types of Braces
Traditional braces, also known as metal braces, are the most common. They are made from high-strength stainless steel and are very durable.
These braces are made from clear or tooth-colored ceramic, making them much less noticeable than metal braces. In addition, they are usually smaller and less bulky than metal braces, making them more comfortable to wear. However, they are a bit more delicate and expensive than traditional metal braces.
Types of Invisalign Treatment
Invisalign is not a one-size-fits-all treatment. We offer the following custom Invisalign systems depending on your needs.
This is the original Invisalign orthodontic treatment system. It is designed for people with more complex dental issues, such as severe overcrowding or bite problems. Invisalign Full treatment time averages between 12 and 18 months but can be longer or shorter depending on the severity of your case.
Invisalign Lite is designed for people with mild to moderate dental issues like gaps or mild overcrowding. This treatment usually takes between six and nine months to complete.
Invisalign Teen is specifically designed for teenagers. It includes special features to accommodate that teeth are still growing and shifting during this stage of life. Invisalign Teen treatment usually takes between 12 and 18 months. There are also additional benefits, such as replacement aligners in case any are lost or broken and blue dot wear indicators that fade when it’s time for a new aligner.
Types of Braces
There are many different types of braces available on the market today.
The most common type of braces treatment is metal braces. These are a more traditional way of fixing misaligned teeth. They consist of stainless steel brackets glued using a dental adhesive to your teeth. A metal wire runs through the brackets and is tightened periodically to move your teeth into place gradually. Rubber bands are also sometimes used for additional pressure. While they are the strongest and most durable braces, they are also the most visible.
Other braces use clear or tooth-colored brackets, which are less noticeable than metal ones- called ceramic braces. Ceramic braces are made of porcelain resin material and blend with the color of the tooth. While they are more aesthetically pleasing, they are more fragile and can stain easily if not cared for properly.
Benefits of Invisalign
Invisalign is a system of clear, removable aligners that straighten teeth by gradually shifting them into place. In other words, it’s a “clear braces” system. Invisalign aligners are virtually invisible because they are made of clear BPA-free plastic that is almost undetectable, so most people won’t even know you’re wearing them.
You can remove the aligners to eat, drink, brush, and floss. You can also remove them for special occasions like weddings, school pictures, or job interviews. This makes Invisalign trays a much more convenient option than traditional braces, which are permanently bonded to your teeth. It is also better for continuing optimal oral hygiene routines and decreasing the risk of tooth decay and gum disease.
Invisalign is generally more comfortable than wearing braces because there are no wires or brackets to rub against your gums and cheeks. As a result, you do not have to worry about anything breaking or coming loose and poking, like if you wear braces with metal brackets and wires.
Another significant advantage of Invisalign aligners, unlike braces, is that you can see your results before starting treatment. A computer-generated image will show you how your teeth will look at the end of treatment. This helps to ease any anxiety you may have about treatment.
Invisalign Provider in Morristown, NJ
There are many options for patients who need orthodontic care! Call us to set up a consultation. After thoroughly examining your teeth and discussing your goals, we will be able to determine if Invisalign is a good choice for you.