Invisalign vs. Smile Direct Club
When it comes to straightening teeth, what is the difference between Invisalign and Smile Direct Club? It is essential to understand the pros and cons of Invisalign and SDC before making a decision.
What Is Smile Direct Club?
Invisalign was invented in the late 1990s and had a revolutionary impact on modern orthodontics. Although various copycat companies have sprung up, Invisalign is still the gold standard of clear aligners. Since 2014, Smile Direct Club has gained popularity as a clear aligner competitor with lower prices. They operate under a “direct-to-consumer” model, which means that customers order their aligners on their website and get their aligner trays through the mail. Invisalign, however, is only available via dentist or orthodontist.
What is the difference between the two treatments?
The most significant differences are that SDC is a direct-to-consumer company, meaning customers can order their aligners online without seeing a dentist or orthodontist. Here are some other differences to consider between the two:
Smile Direct Club vs. Invisalign
- Oversight: Invisalign treatment is guided by your dentist in person, and you can visit them regularly for checkups. With SDC, you have no one to monitor that you are progressing correctly.
- Total Cost: Invisalign’s cost is slightly higher. Invisalign averages $3,000 – $7,000, and SDC is estimated to cost $2,500 – $5,000, depending on the severity of your case.
- Added Fees: Invisalign’s cost includes a full treatment with guaranteed results. With SDC, there are extra fees for taking initial impressions and retainers.
- Treatable Cases: The Invisalign system is more effective at treating a broader range of dental issues because Invisalign can be used with attachments that are only available through a dentist or orthodontist.
- Comfort: Invisalign is generally more comfortable than SDC aligners due to their more accurately fitted trays. The material used for the Invisalign trays is also less bulky.
Clear Aligner FAQs
Yes, Invisalign and SDC aligners should be worn 22 hours a day. It is recommended to remove them only when eating or drinking anything other than water. Once treatment is complete, you will need to wear a retainer at nighttime only for several years so that teeth do not shift back.
Contact Us for Orthodontic Treatment
If you’re considering Invisalign, the Dental Group of Morristown team can help you make an informed decision. We offer a free consultation to discuss your options and help you find the best treatment for your needs.
Contact our dental practice today to schedule an appointment.